View Single Post
Old July 3, 2012, 08:08 AM   #43
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
It was politically acceptable. It also got a lot of cops killed because the bullets of the day (round nose lead) were dismal failures.
Mostly it was a failure because most cops could not hit their target. Big city police departments with a training program still have a dismal hit rate of anywhere from 17% to 40%, small departments where most officers have had minimal training and that only at the academy are worse unless they were gun people before they became officers. Switching from 38 spcl LRN to 9MM JRN only meant you had more bullets to miss with.

I am confident enough in my 38 spcl 158 gr LSWC that it is my home defense load in my night stand gun for that dark thirty at night Bozo who wants to get hurt. It is good enough that I have hunted and shot rabbits at 7 yds to 50+ yards using both SWC and LRN. I wouldn't want to hunt deer with it but I can guarantee a small 4 legged critter with teeth and bad intentions like a feral dog, coyote or wolf would not want to get shot with it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--

Last edited by Old Grump; July 3, 2012 at 08:14 AM.

Page generated in 0.02717 seconds with 8 queries