View Single Post
Old December 6, 2015, 01:17 PM   #19
Boogershooter

I just want to throw this out there for some to chew on. Birdshot is a loosely used term for anything smaller than buckshot. It ranges in size from a Lil bigger than a .177 Cal bb down to #8 shot if you buy it at local stores. I have a jug of #12 which I belive is the same as rat shot. Never seen a commercially loaded shotgun round with anything smaller than #9 which is hard to find itsself. Another thing to consider is the wad. Some are made to hold the shot together longer and some are made to open immediately. Comparing bird shot is not done enough n my opinion. The choke you use also plays a role in this just as much as the range of your target. I personally use a 18 inch barrel with cylinder bore, means no choke at all, with a lightly recoiling load and I mix the pellets up with 1/8 ounce of #6, 1/8 of #9 and half ounce of #12. Very little recoil and at 12 feet it almost entirely covers a 4x8 sheet of plywood. I can't imagen any human walking thru 8 shots of that to get me. Maybe if on drugs but at that point he's going to look like he went thru a meat grinder and if he does get away there will b plenty of da evidence for the cops to catch him later. Yes I do have a 45 next to the bed and ol lady has hers on her side of the bed. If I walk into the yard at night im prepared for that too. But seriously folks just going to wally world and picking up a box of birdshot or buckshot isn't always what you want. I have 4 kids in my house at night and I like small pellets that don't over penetrate. I will meet and greet the threat while my wife brings a Lil more firepower

Page generated in 0.03572 seconds with 8 queries