Thread: Chronograph?
View Single Post
Old June 12, 2014, 09:15 PM   #29
Armed_Chicagoan

OK, went to the range yesterday to try out the Caldwell Ballistic Chronograph. Try as I did I could not get it to connect to my Galaxy S3, it kept losing the connection. After half an hour of screwing around with it I decided to just record the results the old fashioned way with pen and paper.

All my readings were about what I expected them to be, Russian milsurp 7.62x54R averaged 2,692fps from my m91/30. .40 S&W 180gr Speer Gold Dots averaged 922fps from my Beretta PX4 Compact, while Corbon 165gr JHPs lived up to their reputation and averaged 1227fps from the same gun, actually higher than the 1150fps claimed on the box.

But things got weird when I tested rounds from my Taurus TCP both precision One XTP and PMC FMJ were registering above 1200fps, which can't possibly be accurate. However, when I was testing those rounds the skys changed from cloudy/overcast to bright and sunny. The manual says to use it in shadow on sunny days, so maybe that was what was giving those results? Anyone here have experience like this using a chrono on a sunny day?

Anyway, tonight I tried connecting the chrono to my girlfriend's phone (same model as mine) to see if it connected to that, and it did. So I figured I probably had an issue with my headphone jack (the cord plugs into the headphone jack), so I sprayed some electronics cleaner into my headphone jack and then stuck the brush in there and twisted it around. After waiting a few minutes for it to dry I connected it to the chrono again and it finally made a good connection to my phone!

So now that my connection issues have been resolved my only concern with this chrono is the crazy readings it was giving from my TCP, no way .380 out of a micro pistol has that kind of velocity!

And for the record I did not shoot any part of the chrono.

Page generated in 0.02549 seconds with 8 queries