View Single Post
Old October 6, 2011, 12:57 AM   #1
biggreddy

Grandpa's Winchester Pre-64 1894 1/2Mag 30-30 with a Bull/Steer engraved stock.

When I took ownership of the Rifle two of the original tan leather hide straps were tied to the saddle tie still, but they were brittle and eventually fell off.

A 12 stamp and a 3 stamp.

clear serial of 4975XX.

I have no idea who did this artful carve job, but could have been any one of my 6 Great Uncles.
In interested to know any of your thoughts on this Northern California Winchester. Not sure of the make date, but it would be nice if she was at least an early 1930's firearm purchase. I also have no clue as to if the 12 and/or 3 marks were inspection stamps or what. I am also unclear as to just how widespread stock engravings were. Did everyone do that to their Rifles or was it just a Model 94 thing or trend? It would be interesting to find out, because I see this a lot with older 1894 Rifles being reproduced in Anniversary editions ; haven't seen too many home or range pieces around much. Which makes me wonder what she could really demand at top auction value. She's definitely a mantle sitter looks better first-person than the pics giver justice wiped down. I use soft gun grease after a little Simple Green myself. Is this not a good way to care/treat/wipe an antique or what else if anything should I use? I will post about an Enfield I'd also like to have seen here at TheFiringLine. Thank You for any interest.

Page generated in 0.03632 seconds with 8 queries