View Single Post
Old June 25, 2013, 11:37 PM   #14
Lost Sheep

If you sprinkle the powder onto your lawn (or other plants) be sure to water generously. Gunpowder of any kind is loaded with nitrogen, which will over-excite plants like cotton candy to a 5-year-old. It will green up nicely, but without enough water, plants will burn themselves out.

Using as fertilizer is safer than using as propellant. But, in the interest of caution, safety and health, do not use it on food plants or in such amounts that there could be surface runoff into waterways.

Many gunpowders are classed as hazardous materials not only for flammability, but for pollution (I suppose for the ability to cause algae blooms when in runoffs of large quantities). You have about 25 lbs. At $20 to $25 per pound (retail) nothing to sneeze at and a competent loader willing to take the trouble (and risk) to identify the powder and test it for safety might be willing to accept it for a little money or as incentive to quite bargaining down the prices of the other gear.

You could use the powder (with the original tins) as "sweeteners" if a buyer wants to bargain down super hard. Most reloaders don't like to trust powders not purchased directly from manufacturers or retailers. Not a reflection on the seller, but just on the desire for safety inherent in responsible loading.

Still, the safest thing would be to contact your local fire department or hazardous waste office (local trash disposal companies would have the contact information) for free disposal of this stuff which might have as much as $500 full retail value or a negative moral/conscience value. to you.

For myself, I would let it go (only) to someone who assured me that thorough safety precautions would be taken before use, no matter what price consideration was given. (But I think that is better than just burning it.)

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.03706 seconds with 8 queries