View Single Post
Old July 29, 2000, 02:38 PM   #11
Ron Ankeny

I have killed five mature bulls with 180 grain Grand Slams with my 30-06 and all five were between 150 - 300 yards. For what it is worth, all of them were hit in the lung cavity and the bullets passed clear through and the exit hole looked "normal" enough. I can't comment on the expansion because the bullets were not recovered.

The last elk I shot with the 180 grand slams was taken at about 150-200 yards in open terrain. I shot the critter 4 times in the lung cavity and all four of the bullets passed through. The two guys I was with and myself all agreed any one of the shots would have killed the animal, but being in the open, in a herd, and disoriented (the elk not me) allowed me to shoot it multiple times.

I quit using the Grand Slam when I went to the .30 magnums because I have other bullets that shoot more accurately. All in all, I would say the Grand Slam fails to open fully at 30-06 velocities and probably works better in a magnum, but I am not sure. Presently, I use the 200 grain Nosler Partition in a .30-.338 and it works very well indeed.

Page generated in 0.05150 seconds with 8 queries