View Single Post
Old July 18, 2002, 03:38 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Well, all of those stats are readily computable on a spreadsheet, no reason not to look at all of them. Plus, after you have shot a number of matches you will learn who to watch. Compare your scores with some good steady shooters and try to gain on them.

What I do is to look at the times/scores for the individual stages. I make notes soon after the match as to my general performance and why my score was what it was. Did I execute well and my score come out not much over my raw time, and if so, was I fast or slow versus the field? Or did I drop lots of points or whole shots, did I get a procedural, did I hit an NT, did I blow a reload, did I have a gun malf, all things that add to the total?

This lets me see not only how I did, but why and what I need to work on. For example, my last match I had a failure to extract, leaving a "double feed" that had to be cleared. The gun checked ok, so that whole lot of ammo - a couple hundred more rounds -went into the practice box. A good move, it has given me practice clearing multiple malfunctions. And a lesson not to buy more of those bullets. I fumbled a Tac Load and lost time. So my next practice session I did Tac Loads at almost every reload. One stage I did particularly well at because I had been working on the moves and positions it required. Another cost me points because the targets were set horizontal - wolves as threats instead of humanoids - and I wasn't holding into the Zero. I will work on crooked targets some.

So your score, placement, and stats are just the first step. To measure skill and progress look at each stage. Look at each technique required in that stage to tell what is holding you back. Then work to improve it.

Page generated in 0.04333 seconds with 9 queries