View Single Post
Old August 4, 2005, 04:31 PM   #6
TomNash

Hehehe... Which brings up another adage : "A man can only try" .

Seriously though, I think an FBI/IWBA compliant .32ACP can be made by taking a 60gr. Hornady XTP and soldering/welding/brazing (etc) a 5-10gr. mass to the back of the bullet and loading it up as fast as you can go.

I say this as a result of my experience with Federal Hydrashok in .32ACP. The sweet-spot on the velocity scale appeared to be 835 ft/sec when I tested it in ballistic gelatin. Any faster than that and the bullet really expanded and penetration fell off from 10" to about 9". I then really began loading these rounds, with 2.5gr of V-310 and the velocity spiked to 1101 ft/sec. These penetrated about 8" and really sheared off pieces of lead and jacket.

But the Hornady 60gr. is much tougher of a bullet than the .32ACP hydrashok - so much so that expansion is usually not experienced with this round in a short barreled .32. So, I am thinking that with a little lower velocity (to reduce the fluid drag on the bullet), a higher weight for more momentum, and a maximum powder charge there may be a chance. Maybe.

Tom

Page generated in 0.02125 seconds with 8 queries