View Single Post
Old June 20, 2012, 10:48 PM   #15
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyFN
It only sizes a round that is out of spec.
Absolutely true. 100% agreement.

So, using one SHOULD be no detriment.

Quote:
A case that is badly buldged and oversized lead bullets. If you have the other dies set up right you will never have the post sizing ring size a finished round with jacketed or normal sized lead bullets.
or brass whose walls are not thicker than they should be.

My friend shoots 500 S&W and bought some 500 Special brass for lighter loads. We found out that the brass near the base of the cartridge is thicker and if we seated bullets to the crimping groove, the brass was expanded out enough to prevent chambering. Frustration ensued.

The post-sizing function of the Lee FCD would have cured that .

Such things happen. Even to experienced loaders.

Now, I agree, the FCD cures problems that, if loading were done properly in the first place should not happen, and the FCD should not be relied upon to cure them, either. Once identified, the problems the FCD cures should be fixed in the first three dies. Bad practice not to do that.

Insofar as the FCD HIDES problems, it is a bad thing. This is a notion I don't often point out, but it is true.
Quote:
At least thats my experience in all the calibers I use them in and I'm just your average reloader.
I have read your posts. You seem to me to be to be quite more knowledgeable than average.

Respectfully,

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02479 seconds with 8 queries