View Single Post
Old December 27, 2013, 03:26 AM   #1
bclark215

shotgun reloading beginner.

I recently got a mec press, primers, and powder for loading shotgun shells from my grandpa. The powder (red dot, green dot, clays) and primers are nearly 40 years old. The powder was stored in the original metal cans and have been in my grandpas shop for a while and his attic for the last 8 years. It does get up to around 100 in the summer here however humidity shouldnt have been an issue. We just shot some shells that were loaded with the same powder around 40 years ago and they shot fine. Is this powder ak to use? It will be a few days before ill be able to shoot and I was hoping to have quite a few shells loaded before we go shoot id just hate to load up 100 rounds and the powder or primers be bad.
I also just had a few questions about loading. I reload for pistols and rifkes but have never loaded for shotguns. I have an assortment of different brand hulls. Can I use the ssme wad and same load to load all of of the various hulls as long as theyre the same leangth? What if I wanted to start loading 3 inch shells instead of the 2 3/4 that ive started to load? Ive heard that you should not reload cheaper 2 piece shells. Is this true? Thanks for any advice that you may be able to provide.

Page generated in 0.03721 seconds with 8 queries