Thread: breaking flints
View Single Post
Old August 9, 2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Captchee

Normally if the frizzen is slapping back , it will shatter the flint in just a few shots . But what can also happen is if your using a shorter flint , the frizzen may just strike the face and then chip it to the point you only get 10 -20 falls per flint
If that’s what you think maybe happening , check it by letting the cock all the way down . Then close the frizzen back onto the flint . The chips or breaks will stem from right at the edge of the frizzen .

Myself I would check your frizzen by removing the frizzen spring . the frizzen then should move back and forth freely with no rubbing. Simply put ,if you tilt the lock , the frizzen should fall open or fall closed .
If it does that , check the fit of the lid to the pan . It should set tight with no gaps while at the same time , matching the pan . If the front or back is gapped , then the hole was not drilled correctly ... if you do have a gap then the gap should be even all the way around .

If all looks good from there then put the frizzen spring back on .
Open the jaws on the flint and slide a piece of card stock on top of the flint. Trim it back so it matchs the profile of the frizzen and is just a hair shor t of the striking edge of the flint .By hair , I mean just that . You want it just short enough so that when the flint scraps down the frizzen , it wont curl the card stock back
. Then tighten it back down .
Next take a black felt tip marker and coat the bottom of the pan lid and very bottom edge of the frizzen face .
Cock your lock , close the frizzen and fire the lock a few times . If you have frizzen slap , , you will see a black mark on the card stock .

Last edited by Captchee; August 9, 2013 at 05:52 PM.

Page generated in 0.03292 seconds with 8 queries