View Single Post
Old February 16, 2006, 11:02 AM   #6
invention_45

Most people will be completely wigged out by the event.

That's a bad time to be saying ANYTHING.

Try your best to say as little as possible.

If you can possibly do it, say "I want my attorney present before I talk about this", and then say no more.

It does sound comforting to call a friend, but try to wait until the attorney is there FIRST. It is not impossible that your friend will try to make you feel better and succeed. I'm guessing you don't want the police to see you guffawing over some well-intended joke a friend made just after you killed somebody.

Assuming you did shoot in self defense, don't worry about how you are going to pay for the attorney's time. In Florida, the BG is going to pay for it.

Before your attorney arrives, if you say anything other than that you'd like to wait for your attorney, say something like "I cannot talk right now. I was really afraid I'd be killed just a few moments ago and I just can't think straight".

If you don't have an attorney you know you can call, get one NOW.

I've done business with mine so I can call him. But if you have never used an attorney or you don't have the phone number of one you used in the past, find one and make an appointment to discuss the legalities of self-defense.

You'll get two things from that. First, you get the REAL answers, not the internet answers, to your questions. Second, if you give him a retainer (and even if you don't, sometimes) you have a number to call to get an attorney on the way when you need it.

The last two times I consulted (about a half hour) an attorney just to see where I stood on some issues, I paid about $100, but that was 6 years ago.

Even if it costs you $300, what did you pay for your gun, permit, training course, ammo, holster?

Page generated in 0.02203 seconds with 8 queries