View Single Post
Old January 28, 2012, 07:28 PM   #10
Lost Sheep

For some, it's the hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1
Simple question? hard answers.
The question is this: If a rifle shoots a factory cartridge very nicely, is it too much to ask it to shoot different bullet and powder combo's as well?

Next question: Should I keep buying different powders and components, to try to repeat the results from the said factory ammo.

(I am not yet at my wits end, but I'm getting close to my wifes,)
The powder, and the amount of powder are only two elements to obtaining good accuracy.

The fit of your cartridge to your chamber. (Only one part of which is headspace.)

The distance of the bullet to the rifling.

Bullet weight

Bullet velocity relationship with barrel's twist rate (stabilization)

Bullet velocity variation (got a Chronograph?)

Bullet velocity relationship with barrel's harmonic vibrations. (This is almost like magic)

Strength of crimp (a.k.a. bullet pull)

Some handloaders enjoy tinkering with these factors (and more) to find that (those) combinations that work best. I would liken it to those who enjoy stalking an animal more than the actual kill.

I suggest, if you approach loading with that attitude, you will have a lot of wits' ends left at the end of the day than you do now.

It is an esoteric approach, and not for everybody. But I bet your rifle will be able to better factory ammunition if you find the right combination of brass, primer, powder, powder charge weight and cartridge dimensions.

This is the essential difference between handloading and reloading.

Good luck on your quest. Finding the "right" load is the bullseye.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02598 seconds with 8 queries