View Single Post
Old November 30, 2005, 09:51 PM   #1
beagle

Deer Hunting with a 44 mag 7 1/2" redhawk

I've looked thru all the internet boards, and read all the interesting and non-interesting hunting stories.

I've read up on the ballistics provided by bullet mfgs. for all the various hunting loads, and even those ballistics from individuals which reload for themselves...

I've chosen the 240gr jsp for recoil purposes

And I've read all the speculations about this and that till my brain stem started wilting away.

So, I'm turning to you guys for some much needed help.

I generally hunt with a 30-06, but have recently acquired a Scoped Redhawk with the 7.5" barrel.

I've zeroed it for 125yds and get a 4.5" 6-shot grp every time using 240gr JSP on a 9" paper plate.

The bullet would then punch a hole thru a 1 1/2" thick pine board behind the target and lodge itself almost an inch into the tree behind it, well expanded.

I know the accuracy is plenty for hunting at that distance, and I would think that it punching a hole through that 1.5" board and the tree at 125yds shows that it still has enough power to punch thru the hide and thru the vitals on its way out or at least break a bone or two.

Yet I keep reading everywhere I look that it is "only a 100yd round out of a rifle and maybe 65-70yds max out of a handgun"... But from none with any experience past 65yds.

What I want to know is with a well placed shot behind the shoulder... Is there sufficient energy to drop a deer out to 125yds.

It would seem there is, but I want to remain a humane sportsman and get as much info as possible before I do shoot a deer with it.

I shoot both the 240 jsp and 240 jhp and these are the ballistics...

Velocity is around 1080fps @ 100yds
Energy is around 620f/p @ 100 yds

so I'm guessing that @ 125yds, it would be around 1000fps and 525f/p-550f/p.

Am I correct? And if so, wouldn't this be sufficient energy to humanely kill a deer with a well placed shot?

Anyone with any experience please help. It would be much appreciated.

Page generated in 0.02741 seconds with 8 queries