View Single Post
Old September 28, 2012, 08:15 AM   #10
velocette

Your sporterized 1917 Enfield (Eddystone Enfield, Remington Enfield or Winchester Enfield depending upon which arsenal made the rifles) was the most common WW I battle rifle. The Enfield name comes from the almost identical rifle that Remington had contracted with the British govt to produce, chambered in .303 Brit. When the US became involved in the great war, the factorys changed to .30-06 & we had the '17 Enfield. The 6 round internal magazine is a hold-over from the .303 rimmed round which the rifle would only hold 5 of.
They are the strongest of the WWI design rifles and some have said the ugliest. Their sights were aperture & far easier to use than the '03 Springfield.
After the war, Remington took the design, removed the military ears, bayonet mounts & other military things & put it in a sporter stock, It was the Model 30 Remington.
When the rifle was sold off as military surplus, many of them were sporterized as inexpensive hunting rifles. They were commonly re-chambered in magnum level cartridges due to their immense strength and long action. The level of craftmanship on the sporterization varied widely from sub Bubba to top level quality. Straigtening the bolt handle was a common change.
The '17 Enfield in the picture is mine, sporterized by me from a sub-Bubba'd rifle. It consistently will shoot 1 1/4 moa with no load development with its original GI barrel. All work was done by hand, no power tools used.
You have an an excellent quality rifle that will handle virtually any modern ammunition. Clean it up and enjoy it.

Roger

Page generated in 0.02636 seconds with 8 queries