View Single Post
Old September 16, 2009, 05:23 PM   #9
bswiv

Strange you should pose the question only a couple of days after we had "pig foot sausage" sent to us by one of the chefs.

Part of our seafood business is selling cut fish to restaurants, mostly country clubs and fancy places that use FRESH stuff. And many of these places have REAL chefs. One guy in particular loves to mess with cured & smoked meats of all sorts.

Over the years he's done everything from cured wild hams that you can not believe to gator sausage. Most of it has been interesting if not outright GREAT. The pig foot sausage, and yes you could see the cartelidge in it, was what I would rate as good but not great. It was kind of odd in that there was way less actual meat in it and more congealed stuff. That said the spices in it made it worth eating.

Way back my grandfather, he still had a Italian accent!, would add pigs feet and pigs tail to the sauce when he started to cook it on Sunday mornings. After simmering in that sauce for most of the day they were well worth sucking the meat off of.

I don't see any reason wild pig feet should not be just as good.

What I am wondering is if the proper cleaning method should be to skin them or to scald and scrape? I don't remember there ever being hooves on the ones my grandfather cooked so I'm guessing they get trimmed off?

Obviously your post has me thinking about trying it..........

Page generated in 0.01998 seconds with 8 queries