View Single Post
Old February 20, 2009, 01:32 PM   #72
Daugherty16

Measured Response

All in all, it worled out fine - so far. Heed the warning about reprisals, but even that i think unlikely since they know how you respond to threats.

Anyway, here in CT and in many states, i think, the law distinguishes between simple trespass and criminal trespass. Simple trespass is just that - knowingly entering another's property but without other criminal intent. Maybe your yard wasn't posted (except for the fences, duh) but after you chased them off the first time, no question that fair warning had been given. ANY reasonable person could responsibly assume that by coming back, these youths were engaging in criminal trespass -which means trespass with intent to commit a crime. Take your pick - assault, rape, robbery, burglary, property damage - some of which can be met with deadly force, and some of which can't. A mallet to the fingers doesn't constitute deadly force, and it seems to have been sufficient force.

And just in case, your wife had the 20g for backup if it escalated into a deadly threat to life or limb. I'd say it worked out just fine, and you've got one heck of a wife.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.

Page generated in 0.02125 seconds with 8 queries