View Single Post
Old April 23, 2012, 07:36 AM   #14
Blindjim

the solution and a remark or too...

Powderman
Very cool. I’ll collect that post and save it for future reference. Thank you.

Solution:
So here’s the end game, and using my brain as best I am able seeing as how I have no idea what I’m talking about much of the time anyhow…. This is my final answer for this thread too. My brain hurts too much, taxed so severely as it is, it needs a break. So for closure sake….

Due to the absolute lack of any replies, returned calls or emails from STAG Arms (among others) on any point of concern I had for some further clarification on their weapons, prior to my purchase of one from them or their dealers, I decided to go into a wholely different direction.

Support is important still regardless the reputation or build quality…. And no one among us likes getting dis’d.

Then, following yet other streams, as I was moments away from pulling the trigger on a toes up custom DIY build a rifle kit’ at PSA, I reflected on it as well, and must admit I had some reservations still. However and in deference to the experience I had or didn’t have with STAG arms ultimately, I must say here by contrast PSA CUSTOMER SERVICE AND PERSONAL ASSISTANCE waS JUST outstanding!

Following some remarkable advice from one or two members, I pursued some other options like HI Points, FNAR, Springfield M1 A1, DPMS, SPIKE, and as well, Ruger Mini 14s and the Beretta CX4 Storm carbines. Almost all to no avail. Out of stock was quickly becoming as quaint and forthcoming as is “Good morning” or “How are you?”.

Eventually I thought too, rather than kick it with some relatively new and somewhat more costly ‘designer ammo’ like 6.5mm, 6.8 SPC, 7.62MM x 39/40/41, 300 AAC, all of which could run me as high as 90 + cents per shot, I re-reviewed my main goals in earnest. They are still, HD and Range fun without forcing me to file for Bankruptcy.

This idea of mine to acquire a new ‘carbine’ of sorts must have been ill fated from the start. Or some really strange things are going on in the gun world at large. I just kept running into locked or jammed closed doors. Over and over again. The costs or prices continued to escalate while considering options and outfittings of some of the aR – M4 builds/purchases which interested me. Many simply were unavailable completely! Some had lengthy indeterminate wait periods associated with them. Some were available but in restricted states config.

I should mention too, those which were on my list and a good portion of those that were not, but came by way of outside input yielded about the same non results. I felt some dispair and oddly some desperation too in trying to find a carbine I’d like or be able to buy.

Time too was an issue. Adding on more trails to blaze for info and education of myself on so many peripherals and unfamiliar now guns ammo alike kept mounting. The longer I forestalled making a selection the longer my impending gun hike became. . At hand the two primary choices were, a DIY PSA 300 AAC AR build that with appropriate yet modest outfitting came to almost $1200… so I could do that and look forward to pitching $4 on the gun range floor for every 5 shots, OR just maybe take one more look into that Bohemian like esthetic and diminutive pistol rifle from Beretta. Up close and personal.

Remarkably, I found one. It was local too! Asign from on High? Beats me. So with a friend along for the transportation, I got out to see how it felt. Not bad. Not bad at all. Sure, it’s small, but it fit in several ways. Had those things needed for function in close enough reach to the on or off hand, as it were. Light weight and it definitely points well indeed. With just a wee bit of work it could be quite the thing for those events under 150ft or not much more as is it’s intentioned operating sphere..

With a brief counter offer or two I bought the CX4 Beretta in .40SW Sunday. NIB. w/100 rds Federal 180 FMJ… incl’d tax and background fee, $700. Good bad or indifferent on the price. Stick a fork in me, we’re done buying guns.

Well…. For a while at least… now we are into selling one or two!

apart from some after market gear to add or replace some of the existing hardware on the weapon which I see as a back burner sort of need, it’s done. The CX4 Storm sits in it’s case just across the room from me right now.

It was a wee bit of a compromise of sorts. Overall, it satisfies a few areas of necessity. The available calibers I saw in the DIY AR 15 camp were definite compromises in that all I could find which came even close to whetting my appetite for a new long gun were 6.8 SPC II, and .300 AAC. Neither of which truly floated my boat, caliber wise 100%, Both added some concern too for over penetration as the purposed gun was for quite close in operation, despite their long legged ballistic characteristics.

Aside from the CX4’s diminutive stature, which is manageable for sure, it possesses man killer ability in it’s .40SW nominal round size, interesting esthetics, affordable shots per round, and simplistic break down, even if it does have some curious drawbacks or shortcomings built in.

If the idea is to get rounds downrange accurately, reliably and affordably, the Storm should be on one’s short list. That said, the CX4 could have used some more vitamins and minerals during it’s conception. Although quick to deploy, easy to handle, ready and willing to shoot, for me it lacks adequate length to shoulder. The pull is truncated. Designed in artifact or trait? It seems so. Yet a natural firing stance has a shootter bringing a rifle to his or her shoulder routinely. Only training and experience can defer this inherent desire I suspect. It would seem too, Beretta had a0nother plan in mind than strickly shoulder firing positions, unless I’m mistaken severely when they agreed on the design and began building this rifle.

Naturally you can certainly shoulder the CX4. handily. I did and do despite for me, it’s limited pull distance. Briefly thereafter raising it to eye level and adjusting to it’s lack of barrel nose upright aperture, (the front sight post which is set well back onto the upper stock of the Storm carbine) but just a few times got me into how the CX4 needs to be cradled. Of course, with energized or light projecting optics, I would submit shouldering this weapon becomes fundamentally less of a prerequisite.

A word on the trigger. Often online comments are cloaked in their true motivation. Brand loyalists rave on their picks and levy heavy fire upon those who would not give them their due. Other more paranoid clans squabble and rail outright aginst those would even say this or that which may remotely be construed as a negative tone, and then there’s the overwhelming ambiguity and subjectiveness that accompanies every account of anything, anywhere, so long as it is penned by hand. More than once I’ve read the trigger feel on the CX4 contained grit, or dis-ease in it’s migration to release. I felt none what so ever in mine. Nada. Nice easy, and smooth. Nearly predictable after just a couple tugs. Around the 6 – 8 pound pull range IMO. Perhaps other factors play into this controversy, but again, the CX 4 I bought has no such catchy feel to the trigger pull at all. A nice break and a steady feel throughout it’s limited distance. So there’s that.

I’m going to add at least a LASER sight, and quite likely a LED light, if not both in but one combination device like a Surefire x 400. a LASER for sure, name brand or not. A few other goodies but not much, definitely yet one more spacer on that butt. Oh, and a case or 50 of ammo.

All who submitted their input here have my deepest appreciation. And gratitude. Thank you.

, 1

Q01. How many ‘butt spacers’ can you affix onto the CX4 stock? How are they held on… I can’t find any screw holes.

Q2. How exactly, do you tell which series of CX4 magazine the rifle carries?

Q3. Front (fore end) is the serial number just ahead on the barrel itself?
Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

.... for me, life becomes less and less shocking with every pull of the trigger.

Last edited by Tom Servo; April 29, 2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Removed response to deleted post

Page generated in 0.03231 seconds with 8 queries