View Single Post
Old June 30, 2012, 08:30 PM   #41
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
If I ever get into a shooting, I'll very quickly go over the charts, graphs, and numbers.
I know you're being sarcastic, but I'll answer seriously anyway. The point isn't that you should think about these graphs during a deadly force encounter. The point is that you can think about them NOW and hopefully make some constructive decisions based on your assessment of your own performance/risk and other personal requirements.
Quote:
Rats can't remember the Tom Cruise movie where he is the hit man cruising around in a taxi in LA and gets into a confrontation in a subway at o-dark thirty with two muggers attempting to rob him?
The movie is Collateral. The scenario takes place in an alley where two men steal his briefcase out of the taxi where he left it. Watch the scene again in slow motion and focus on the second BG. You'll see that he has to bobble his draw in order to give Cruise's character time to get the job done.
Quote:
...missing from the equation is also the speed of incapacitation.
That is correct. If one really thinks hard about the assumptions and results, one can come up with a number of reasons why the calculated results actually paint a rosier picture than is likely in a real life encounter facing 2 determined attackers.

Realistically even if the defender has a 100% hit rate, it's absolutely possible that he might expend all the rounds from a high-capacity pistol and still fail to incapacitate just one attacker given the difficulty of using a tiny bit of lead at medium velocities to destroy a 180lb creature.

Basically what the calculations are going to provide is some basic insight into how hard it is to make multiple solid hits on multiple attackers before running out of ammunition.

Page generated in 0.03534 seconds with 8 queries