View Single Post
Old November 19, 2011, 07:42 PM   #10
anonimoose

All,

Criticisms very much welcomed! I very much respect the collective experience of many on this forum -- I seem to learn something new every day. I do agree that I was overly generous with the ranges represented -- no doubt many of us have homes that are smaller and neighbors that are closer. To be honest, I was simply trying to use nice round numbers and ranges that most of us are familiar with. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably examine/discuss what happens at 3 (bedroom wall), 5 (next room), 10 (neighbor's home) and 100 (elementary school down the block) meters.

Since my original post was so long, would this be a fair summary?

Home-defense rounds:
- 00 or #1 buckshot will cause high damage up close and represents a low/medium risk of hitting those in other rooms/homes (only 6-8 layers of sheetrock; please see previously cited Box O' Truth experiments)
- 9x19mm JHP rounds will cause low/medium damage up close, and represents a high risk of hitting those in other rooms/homes at a close range (12 layers of sheetrock, rounds stay relatively intact), and a low/medium risk of hitting those in other rooms/homes at ranges greater than 50-100 meters (rounds lose significant energy at great distances)
- 5.56x45mm frangible rounds will cause medium/high damage up close and represents a medium/high risk of hitting those in other rooms/homes at a close range (12 layers of sheetrock, but it's tumbling/fragmenting/yawing), and should it so happen to have a clear path/trajectory, represents a medium risk of hitting those in other homes at ranges greater than 50-100 meters (rifle rounds go further)

Home-defense weapons (as distinguished from home-defense rounds):
- 12 gauge pump/auto represents medium/high weight, low maneuverability, and low round count
- semi-automatic pistol represents low weight, high maneuverability, and medium round count (though can get high capacity mags)
- AR-15 or similar variant represents medium weight, low/medium maneuverability, and high round count

Again, as I said in the original post: when it comes to firearms, everything is a compromise, and there is no one "perfect" or "right" home-defense solution.

Quote:
jhenry
Flawed. Your premiss is that a miss at 10 meters (33 feet) and resulting penetration after the miss, is not applicable due to is being only 10 meters. Seriously?
Forgive me -- I think we have a misunderstanding. The discussion/exercise was designed to follow the path of the home-defense round after leaving the barrel of a firearm at three different ranges, using our three hypothetical scenarios, with the bad guy standing in front of a wall 10 meters away from the shooter. If we examine what happens to the round after it's traveled for 10 meters, we stop there -- if it's a hit, great, but if it's a miss, I won't discuss what happens until we get to our next ranges -- what does that missed round do after it travels another 15 meters (25 meters total) and another 75 after that (100 meters total)?

Quote:
TexasJustice7
Animoose, in my case where I carry a 44 Spl 3" Bulldog, and a S&W 38 Spl, how does the 44 round compare?
I'm afraid I don't have the expertise to judge that -- again, I was simply trying to discuss the results as demonstrated by the Box O' Truth. They were hyperlinked in my original post.

Thank you all, for the discussion.

respectfully,
Moose

Page generated in 0.02197 seconds with 8 queries