View Single Post
Old June 29, 2011, 12:57 PM   #4
tpelle

Nope, the drag mark comes from the fact that the bolt leg has worn a groove in the hammer cam, which was improperly hardened (or not hardened at all). If you draw the hammer back just a little more you can see the bolt withdraw flush with the frame like it's supposed to. The hammer is worn out ofter probably less than 200 rounds.

I've taken it apart, and the groove worn in the hammer cam is obvious.

I e-mailed a respected single-action gunsmith about it, and he basically said that it would be as expensive for him to fix it as to just buy a new one! He said that the issue is due to the hammer-block safety, and that this era's Uberti hammer that had that feature was not hardened at the factory, causing premature and excessive bolt cam wear. It would require replacing the parts with different model Uberti parts that did not include the hammer block safety, and I think he didn't want to take on the legal liability of disabling a safety mechanism on a customer's pistol.

If I want to get this pistol up and running again, it's likely that I will have to replace several parts, to wit: hammer, hand and spring, bolt. Personally I am not concerned with loosing the hammer block safety, as the revolver would simply revert back to the original Colt-style safety, which is between the shooter's ears, not some Mickey Mouse apparatus built into the gun.

Assuming that I can buy the parts from VTI, does anyone know which "newer" model of Uberti revolver would be a likely "donor" to provide parts that will fit? I'm obviously concerned with things like hole diameters, etc.

I am presuming that the major assemblies such as the frame, the cylinder, and barrel, etc. would remain the same when Uberti upgraded from the D-Cam hammer with the internal hammer-block to the current model with the two-position cylinder base pin.

Page generated in 0.03108 seconds with 8 queries