View Single Post
Old April 11, 2009, 07:04 PM   #21
CraigC

Gun 4 Fun hit the nail on the head. The big Redhawk's capabilities far exceed those of any other factory .45Colt, except the Freedom Arms guns. Although I must admit, its advantages are really only appropriate for very serious purposes. Standard bullet weights up to 1200fps handle 99% of what needs doing.

Lane Pearce's statements make him lose even more credibility with me than he already had. It's total horse hockey. Dick Casull did indeed develop the .454 using .45Colt brass, pushing 260s'@2000fps in his custom built five-shooters. The current crop of custom five-shots are run almost as fast, at levels that will cause problems for the Redhawk and definitely for the factory six-shot guns. So in short, Lane Pearce ain't no sixgunner or Ruger expert and needs to go back to school.

Quote:
This conversation, for me, is over. When you start talking about 45 Colt brass going to 100 KPSI or even 80 KPSI, someone will get hurt listening to this. Have a nice day.
How do you figure that enlightenment is ever a bad thing??? I don't see how a little information will get anybody into trouble that wouldn't on their own. No one has even remotely suggested loading to that level. Reading the Linebaugh article, one would note that the working pressure is half the level that destroyed the guns. You're being a little silly.

Quote:
Bill Ruger designed them that way.
I wonder where he would've come up with this foolishness???

Quote:
The second thing is that every official source you want to look at (reloading handbooks, ammo makers, industry standards, firearms makers) all list the round under that designation.
This is simply wrong. There is very little official use of "Long Colt". Of the books I have at my desk, they all use the ".45Colt" designation. The only guns I know of that are marked so are those built by Gary Reeder. Colt has certainly never stamped "Long" on a sixgun. The rest are marked ".45cal" or simply and correctly .45Colt. IF there ever was a .45 Short Colt it is so obscure that we are still arguing over whether or not it ever existed so there is absolutely no reason for the "Long" counterpart.

Last edited by CraigC; April 11, 2009 at 07:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.03508 seconds with 8 queries