View Single Post
Old April 15, 2009, 06:28 PM   #21
Jofaba

Perhaps we need to look at what's been working to build support against gun rights. Lobby funded commercials, news station hour long "specials" with an obvious bias, and political responses to gun related tragedies. Add to this list, it's all I can think of right now as a launch point.

On a low funded personal level, I agree and said in my first post, getting anti-gun friends and family members to the range is the easiest and even funnest way to start turning the tide. One trip alone doesn't do it though. I brought my dad to the range and while he enjoyed himself, hes completely against me carrying. I've only been able to bring him once, so I've got some work on my hands. He's going to be a hard convert and I'll learn from that experience and share whether it's worked in the long run.

Once you get that friend or family member educated, and they've "seen the light", we need to get their friends and family members lined up for the next trip to the range.

Skeet/Trap might be a good group intro because it's a sport, it's fun, you can do it with a lot of people, and it carries a familiar competative edge that may be easier to ease the uninitiated into than target shooting. It turns "years long honed skill" into "learning curve".

Does anyone here have a clue what the NRA is up to internally? I'm a very new member and don't know what their program is like in regards to media and advertisement. Their statements are usually a little awkward and defensive. Are they putting together any decent media to launch online and on television to try and start removing the stigma associated with guns?

Marketing is very important. Every product that does well is marketed well. Ever service that does well is marketed well. Who'd have thought that an animated gecko with a British accent would make car insurance so much fun?

I know it may leave a bad taste in some people's mouths, but we need to start marketing the 2nd amendment. I don't mean commercialize it, I mean making sure that people understand that it exists, that it's not outdated, that it's something to believe in, protect, and exercise daily. We need actively retrain what happens to people's brains when they think of the 2nd amendment.

The 2nd amendment is a brand of America. That's what we need to drive home, but even then it's just a statement and one that sounds like legal mumbo jumbo because people interpret it so drastically different depending on their own bias. We need to develop a message that connects, juice it with the personal touch of introducing friends and families, and the friends and families of those, to the sport and right of shooting and personal protection.

We also need to educate ourselves about events where private gun ownership saved lives. We need to know local events and more well known national events. Concealed and open carry has probably the highest stigma associated with it.

Last edited by Jofaba; April 15, 2009 at 06:36 PM.

Page generated in 0.02818 seconds with 8 queries