View Single Post
Old November 28, 2001, 10:55 PM   #2
PJR

I'm assuming we are discussing 12 gauge guns. Both are good guns but I think the Citori is better. I think the Citori quality control is better and prefer the Browning safety set up over the Ruger. The Red Labels do not have the same reputation for durability as the Brownings. Brownings are more common on the clay target fields and clay shooters can go through many thousands of rounds yearly. Choke tubes and other accessories for the Brownings also seem more available.

For upland hunting, lighter is better but neither gun is a lightweight. A lighter gun will kick a little more but not enough to notice for typical hunting between the Ruger and Browning in my opinion.

Why are you going with 26" barrels? Longer barrels promote a smoother swing and should you decide to take up clay target shooting 28" is usually the minimum on sporting and skeet fields with 30" being the most common. I hunt dense cover with a 28" side by side and haven't noticed a drawback with longer barrels. 28" barrels will also be easier to sell should you decide you want a different gun. I've found the Brownings are easier to resell than Rugers but the target shooters are swapping guns all the time.

This is, of course, my opinion and shotguns are an individual thing. I'd try both guns if I could or at the very least try a few dry mounts in the gunshop. If the Ruger feels like it was made for you and the Browning swings like a 2x4 then the decision is easy. Manipulate both safeties and see which one is better to you.

I prefer the Browning yet a man I know swears by his two Red Labels -- a 12 and a 20. For him there is no other gun.

Either way you will end up with a fine firearm.

Page generated in 0.02701 seconds with 8 queries