View Single Post
Old March 6, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
makarov

Trying to pick a hunting rifle

I have never been hunting (I'm 45) - a relative of mine has asked if I would like to go along next season. My nephew got his first deer last year. Mostly it is an excuse to get out in the woods for the people that go. I have quite a few guns, but none would be legal to hunt with except for an old Model 96 Swedish Mauser, and I don't want to haul that thing around. So after scoping out the pawn shops and the few gun stores we have here are my choices in 30-06. Would also look at .308, but leaning towards the 06.

1. Savage 111 combo with Bushnell 3x9 - on sale for $350 at Bi-Mart (does not have Accutrigger) - plastic stock.
2. Ruger Hawkeye - $549 new on sale - stainless with plastic stock
3. Used Browning A-bolt Composite BOSS model. $499 (new they are $599 at Gander Mtn) - this is at a pawn shop, could probably talk him down.
4. Ruger American - new $379
5. Used Remington 700 ADL nice wood stock $399

I am leaning towards the Savage since it is cheapest, but I really liked the Browning too. It had a nice bolt throw and was smooth. I guess they make a non-ported end for the BOSS system that cuts down the noise to the shooter. I think the pawn shop price is too high though. For another $50 I could get the Ruger which also felt very good and was in stainless. Was hoping to keep it around $400 for the rifle, not counting optics (I have other scopes I can use.) Have heard the Weatherby Vanguard and Tikkas are also nice, just none around to fondle in person... Thoughts on these choices?

Page generated in 0.03778 seconds with 8 queries