View Single Post
Old November 25, 2012, 05:24 PM   #7
F. Guffey

Another alternative that will work with all your dies is the die shim set sold by Sinclair link .

“I find it quite easy to adjust the dies for each sizing session, provided you have an accurate means of measuring your headspace. And if you don't have a good way to measure, you are operating in the dark IMHO”

jeep2, in my opinion many problems are caused by bad habits. Before Skip’s shims there was ‘THE SHIM’ before ‘THE SHIM’ there were reoladers that made the shim obsolete. RCBS made dies for the 38 special, then RCBS made dies for the 357 Magnum, at the same time there were reladers that used 38 Special dies to size 357 Magnum cases. reloaders that used 38 Special dies to load 357 Magnum cases did not have bad habits, they were very confident reloaders, they did not secure the lock ring to the die, they adjusted the die to the shell (or off) holder every time they used their dies.

Difference? The seater die was also a crimp die, for reloaders that were afraid they were going to loose their setting made it necessary for the RCBS to make another set f dies, then RCBS had an discovered??? the difference between the crimp in the 38 Special die and the 357 Magnum die was = to the thickness of a washer, so they included the washer in a set of dies, thus eliminating the need for different dies for the 38 Special and 357 Magnum.

44 Special and 44 Remington Magnum, first they made separate die sets, then they made one set that fit both the 44 Special and 44 Remington, they added a washer to raise the seater when seating and crimping 44 special. Again, it was not necessary to make two sets of die, it was not necessary to add the washer for reloaders that are die adjusters. Skip’s shims? Like the washer/spacer, to install the reloader must remove the die from the press to add the washer/shim, again, I adjust my dies to or off the shell holder every time.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; November 25, 2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: change an o to an i

Page generated in 0.03416 seconds with 8 queries