View Single Post
Old July 13, 2009, 12:50 PM   #10
HOGGHEAD

Barrel Length

For me the length of the barrel on the rifle I am carrying is determined by what and where I am hunting. Or what type of cover I am hunting in(heavy vs. sparse).

I think for the heavier areas with shots under 200-250 yards I will go with a shorter-faster handling rifle. And I want it to be in a larger bore. So that means at least 30 caliber-or preferably even larger. It is pretty hard to beat the 358 Winchester or the 338 Federal for a fast handling rifle out to that distance. Remington makes a pump carbine rifle in 30-06, they used to make it in 308-not sure if they still do or not. However this rifle or a fast handling lever is the berries out to the 250 yard mark.

If you are hunting in open country then the longer barrel with the higher performance velocities are the proper choice.

So it really depends on you, and how and where you hunt. And what you already have in the safe. You indicated that this is going to be your "Next" rifle. So I am assuming there are some dandies in the safe already. Tom.

Page generated in 0.03609 seconds with 8 queries