View Single Post
Old May 6, 2006, 02:21 PM   #2
joecad

here is a list

as with anything sometimes price dictates choices.
i haven't been reloading for pistol (45 acp) very long but i am satisfied with my coices so far. heres is a list for you:

first lee and i believe dillon both offer kits, i bought the lee anniverary kit which has a basic single stage press,powder measure,scales,case trimmer,case chamfer tool,primer pocket cleaner, primer loader tool,shell holders. some say that some of these items are not required, but i would rather have them and not need them than the other way around.
additionally you will need a set of calipers or a micrometer...they are around $20.00. you should make sure that you get a reloading manual...its a must.
also you will need a die set...i got the lee 4 die set which is carbide and it has a nice crimping die with it also get a powder trickler (a heavy one that wont tip..a redding is a good one...they are cheap and a nice time and effort saver. this is it as far as equipment i think. i am sure that i have forgotten something ....and i am sure that others will follow to fill in what i have missed.

next this equipment would be for casting bullets if you are so inclined:
bullet mold....i have 2 ...a 230fr round nose and a 160gr round nose.

melting furnace...get one that has a bottom spout.

if you are going to reuse your brass ( i believe this is a great savings) get a tumbler.

comsumables include powder, primers, bullet lube, lead, flux, if you cast, bullets if you dont.

brass if you are not re-using yours.

brass cleaning media...some buy it from reloading houses...i get mine at the pet store....lizard bedding and corn cob both are a good deal at the pet stores.

here are a couple of nice to have but not absolutely neccessary;
a media seperator for getting your cleaned brass seperated from the media.
lead hardness tester......shoulnt need it if you dont cast your own.

i have tried to break this down so you could make some clear choices, i hope this helps and try as i may i am sure i have left something out.

if you decide not to cast your own.....the list gets shorter...but i believe that casting your own is what provides the greatest savings.

lastly, as i said i have a humble single stage press. the wife and i shoot a couple or three hundred rounds almost every weekend and it works fine for me. when i reload i get enough brass ready to hold me for awhile...like four or five hundred rounds cleaned resized and decapped(removing the spent primer).
if something comes up i stop and pick up later.
lee and i am sure others offer kits like mine and ones with turret presses.
people who use different brand names are generally very passionate about their views on quality, my stuff is considered by many to be low end.....but like i say it works well for me. go to the manufacturers' wbsites abd see what they have to offer....make some coices and then shop around at places like midway graph and sons, and boses' guns and compare
if you have any questions feel free to contact me......information from me is free.....because its mostly subjective.
good luck and stay safe

Page generated in 0.03670 seconds with 8 queries