View Single Post
Old June 16, 2013, 02:36 PM   #7
dogngun

Savage makes very accurate rifles for not a lot of money. THE most accurate bolt rifle I have ever owned...and this is going on nearly 50 years...was an old hardwood stock Savage 110 .30-06. Got it for about $140. Foolishly sold it.

The .300 Savage was designed as a medium to big game round, and was extremely good at that. It was the basis for the development of the .308 Win /7.62 NATO by the US military.
The idea was to use a .30 caliber based on the '06 that had similar ballistics to the .300 Savage, which used less powder, weighed less and was as accurate and effective as the .30-06.

The cartridge is supposed to be obsolete today, but it seems to be in use a lot, and I think it will become an old standby like the .35 Remington, which was also supposed to be obsolete...There are a lot of loyal fans of each.

Handloading is pretty easy and really effective, and makes the .300 Savage a really versatile cartridge...takes the same .308 bullets as the '06 and '08, and there are lots of great loads for it.

Good luck...enjoy it.

Page generated in 0.02304 seconds with 8 queries