View Single Post
Old October 19, 2012, 11:33 AM   #23
buck460XVR

Quote:
Odds are pretty good a 629 will shoot.
You might check to see how the bullets fit the cylinder throats.If your bullets are .429,.430 might work better.

I agree, odds are pretty good the 629 will shoot. Mine are scarey accurate and not picky at all about loads. Did you buy the gun used? If so how is the crown? Unique is not finicky about crimp like H110/W296, so I doubt very much that is the problem unless brass is of different lengths and crimp is inconsistent. Since 240gr XTPs are .430s and jacketed, I doubt if that is the problem either. Hornady lists 9.5 min and 10.7 as max with Unique and the 240 XTP, so it may be your load is a bit light. Hornady is generally petty conservative with their loads recipes also. Lyman lists up to 12 grs with a 240grainer. Most problems with Unique including dirtiness can be solved with upping the load a bit.

I would suggest you Google Lil' Gun and premature forcing cone erosion before you load up too many shells with it. I no longer use Lil' Gun in my revolvers due to what many have experienced with it. Since it never gave me the claimed velocities with less recoil and it never performed for me as well as H110/W296 and IMR 4227, it wasn't hard to give up. IMR 4227 does not give quite the velocities that H110/W296 does, but it's every bit as accurate and performs very well in .44 mag. It seems to do very well in my long piped revolvers and the carbines.

Page generated in 0.02458 seconds with 8 queries