View Single Post
Old January 27, 2010, 07:16 PM   #74
rc

I know someone who had an ithaca 37 made in the late 40s that had the extractor wear out after decades of heavy use. Nothing broke, but the shells would no longer get extracted because the chisel edge wore down. This could happen on any gun after time. A new extractor got it running again. That's why I have such an appreciation of the BPS design based on the ithaca. The Remington trigger group is more complicated in my opionion than necissary and if it was superior to other guns, the military would not have purchased the Mossberg 590 which is a slightly upgraded 500 that puts a steel safety and I believe a mettle trigger group on the same basic 500 design. The 590 was not chosen over a BPS because of strength, but because the ejection port allows rounds to be switched in combat more easily. I'm sure the overall weight savings and price were also factors in picking the 590. Now we see the semi auto benelli coming into use, but the pistol grip model 500 is still popular for door breeching rather than combat. rc

Page generated in 0.02839 seconds with 8 queries