View Single Post
Old June 14, 2011, 06:26 PM   #31
vandyatc

Unfortunately I fall more into the altruism category than most any other... I support the right unwaveringly and always have. My CCDW is probably more of a statistic skewer than anything.

I carry on rare occasion when I am somewhere that it is legal to do so. I work in medical sales and fly around the country most of the time. That means no guns on planes, no guns in hospitals, and no guns in many metropolitan hotels (that one has suprised me lately). Even cities like Dallas restrict carrying concealed in MANY places. I used to try and carry more when out and about, but it's getting to be too much of a pain unless I can drive somewhere instead of fly... Then there's working in IL, CA, NY, and other states KY doesn't have reciprocity with (which aren't many).

My wife is warming up to guns. Since she saw her first one at age 33, she now doesn't necessarily think they will just get up and go around the house shooting things on thier own. However, that's about as far as she'll go. If one was on the ground she would run from it! I'm trying to get her to the range, but it's tougher than dragging a donkey into the Lion house...

I live in the city, so it's tough to find a place to shoot often. I try and hit the ranges on occasion, but that requires a couple of uninturrupeted hours that I don't get often. Maybe a couple Saturdays a year I can get 4 hours with no job, no family, and no responsibility to put some rounds downrange. I'm (unfortunately) that guy who has $8,000 in guns and has shot $800 in ammo.... Think about that. I'm not proud... It's the harsh reality though. Heck, I only know a couple of people that even have more than an acre, and only one that's not my parent's age. I don't live in the world I grew up in.

However, I don't have a disillusioned view of the world. My neighborhood is rediculously secure (yeah, I know what you're all thinking right now but it really is a nice place). I don't go many places where I can be taken advantage of, in fact it would be very rare for that to occur. No gas stations, no walking around, no parking lots, no malls at night. Most places that I end up your average tweaker or BG couldn't get near, unless they've been brought in (i.e. hospitals, where they are needed more than many other places). I also don't stand out much as a target and strive to keep it that way. I'll play the odds.

I feel my security and my family's is my job. I will do what I can to achieve that, when I can. Due to my lifestyle it's easier than not. That being said, fortune and luck are generally byproducts of awareness and preparation. I feel more secure carrying, but carrying does not make me secure.

Page generated in 0.09367 seconds with 8 queries