View Single Post
Old June 3, 2010, 03:20 PM   #1
Muhlakai

First time shooting, need help choosing a DFW range

I finally got to go shoot my new (to me) snubby last Friday with my dad. (He was shooting his 1911 that he's owned for 12 years and never fired.) Of course, my firing pin broke on the first bullet (no discharge!) so I ended up renting a gun (and paying for their ammo) and using that, though I was unwilling to buy more than 50 rounds at their prices.

I feel pretty good about my groupings. (Also, I think my experience from work helped a ton.) From center to center of the farthest holes my 2H, 7yd, 6 rnd group was 1 5/8" and my SHO groups @ 7 yds were 2 (6 rnds) and 2 11/16" (12 rnds). I also shot a target I brought from home that had discrete circles in .25" increments. I shot from the 3.25" cicle (#1) down to 1.25" (#9) before I missed on #10. (grip problem). I also got a 1 9/16 group (5 rnds) on the #1 circle.

Everything was slow fire, though. The range won't let you fire quickly. Sure, I can double-tap, but that's all that's allowed.

I think my ideal range would be one that:
  • lets me fire as fast as I can, maintaining accuracy (I want to shoot circle drills from pistol-training.com)
  • lets me move while firing (outside of an IPSC or IDPA match)
  • is cheap or has a great deal on annual memberships

Does anyone have some great suggestions for ranges in the DFW area where I can do one or more of the above?

Page generated in 0.03006 seconds with 8 queries