View Single Post
Old January 23, 2014, 02:49 PM   #37
alex0535

I couldn't imagine slow cooking back strap. If you think that it's tough I think you are probably just cooking it too much. Rare to medium rare is preferable if you trust where your meat came from and it has been frozen for a couple of weeks.

If cooked to medium it is still ok, but no matter how you cook it always be sure to let it rest. If you let it cool off to 120 degrees on the inside when you cut into it the juices won't pour all over the plate.

We seasoned one with creole seasoning, wrapped in pepper bacon and tossed it on the smoker on high, probably around 375. Took it off when temperature reached 140 in the middle. Wraped it in foil. It probably hit at least 150 in the foil. after about 20 minutes open it and take the bacon off, put it back on the smoker until it gets crunchy. After the bacon is done the bacsktap has probably cooled enough to cut into it. The twice smoked bacon is delicious by the way. That turned out around medium.

My favorite way is to country fry little steaks cut out of the backstrap. Buttermilk and garlic soak for a bit. drain buttermilk, toss them in some scambled egg, toss them around in a bag with enough creole seasoning and black pepper to see it in the mix and toss them around in there. Fry in peanut oil, preferably after frying something like chicken. I don't cook mine very long, if you see red coming out of the top you've gone too far. Like 30 seconds in really hot oil a side on a 3/4 inch slice. still a bit rare, But melt in the mouth tender.

Page generated in 0.03728 seconds with 8 queries