View Single Post
Old February 9, 2006, 03:56 AM   #67
RsqVet

Doug --- It disgusts me to see you insult and impune the integraty of anyone here, twice as much for a cop that you have not even met or know.

Cops of course are trained to dominate a situation --- that is their JOB -- go into harms way, stop what is happening, take the stories and sort it all out -- to do this they HAVE to take controll, to protect everyone, first and formost themselves, they want to go home at the end of the day. Your compleate and utter failure to understand this is shocking though perhaps is should not be commming from a person who recently wanted to re-write the rules of gun handleing to include putting your finger in the trigger guard!

I personally think that the scenario is a good one and mirriors one of the more difficult ones presents in several classes I have taken.

A few important points :

1. A real LEO should be no danger and is already having a very, very bad day as if it was a UC bust or something there would be more than one of them so you are walking in on an already volitle situation.

2. Something pretty bad must have already gone down for any LEO to have a suspect held at gunpoint --- this is not going to be an first response to say a fleeing shop lifter, a public domestic dispute or argument that an off duty might find themsleves involved with.

3. Most fake LEO crimes occur in places where there will be no witnesses and little chance of the summoning of the real cops, not a Wal Mart parking lot.

4. In the intal response to a situation like this the best inital response of seeking cover, calling 911 and further evaluating is probibly nearly always the best bet -- you are there to track, montor and interveave as needed, you can always draw, and proceed but it's hard to pull a slug back, plus if this is as bad of a situation as you think some cover and tactical advantage of suprise is going to offten help with a good resolution, not hurt it --- sure I am the first to say if you are in the near vicinity of an armed robbery and have a clean shot take it, don't wait to find out if they plan to leave no witnesses, however this ain't that situation, it needs to be figure out way more before you are weapons free.

5. From all the LEO's I have hung with I would say it's very plausable that a badge might not be immediatly evident as a shield on a neck chain, belt or handing from a hip pack just is not going to be that visable except front on which is unlikely the view you will be getting.

That being said there ain't an easy resposne to this and some subjective factors are gona come in (is the supposed LEO holding a hi-point) however it merits prudance more than immediate action

Page generated in 0.02039 seconds with 8 queries