View Single Post
Old May 9, 2009, 09:57 PM   #3
scorpion_tyr

Quote:
Reliability
Both Glock and a decent 1911 are good enough here IMO.

Quote:
Knockdown power
That's not something the gun decides. That's 100% up to the shooter and the ammunition, in that order.

Quote:
Controllable firepower for followup shots
Personally I would say 1911, but the real answer is probably whichever you have the most time on the range with. There's too many variables in this equation, and I'm too lazy.

Quote:
Accuracy, close and at distance
For the sake of simplicity I would say this also mostly up to the shooter. I am of the thinking that 99% of handguns are more accurate than the person behind them. If your accuracy stinks, buying a new gun probably won't help any.

Quote:
Onboard safety mechanisms due to public display
By this, do you mean, visible while in the holster? This one is going to be a 1911 to someone who knows what they're looking at. To someone who does not, that cocked hammer is not going to seem safe. At the same time, some people see Glock and think "safe". Some people see Glock and think "ND waiting to happen." I see Glock and think "That's a Glock".

Quote:
A 1911 may give the user time to neutralize the threat.
That is not a theory I would invest in at all. Instead of choosing the firearm because of this factor, I would choose the holster, and the amount of time practicing firearm retention.

Quote:
A Glock with a standard Glock trigger seems high risk if handled by less than dedicated people.A long history of Law enforcement disasters and AD's validate this fact.
The only guns that are more dangerous than others are the ones that have a serious reputation for malfunctioning and injuring innocent parties. Every firearm is "high risk". The only thing that makes a firearm a greater risk than another is the operator. Follow the safety rules and you won't have problems. The only problem with Glock's trigger is that my index finger doesn't like it. There are more reported cases of LE disasters with Glocks because of two reasons. When a LEO has a ND, everyone knows about it, and Glocks are more popular, especially with LE. The absence of a "safety" doesn't make a Glock more dangerous. What makes any situation "higher risk" is when people assume that a small piece of metal the flip up or down or side to side makes that gun safe. No gun is safe.

Quote:
Accuracy? The steel to steel contact on a quality 1911 puts it in a different league than the glock.Groups for my Springfield can be one half as small as my big Glocks.!!
If it's important to you, spend more time with your Glocks.

Last edited by scorpion_tyr; May 9, 2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Page generated in 0.03938 seconds with 8 queries