View Single Post
Old April 3, 2002, 08:48 PM   #4
scorn

Coyotes are a most challenging animal. You need to have good hunting skills. Bringing them in close is even tougher, but quite possible. This includes proper setup of your call stand and good camo. You need heavy brush where they have to get in close before they see you and your call. This does not mean that you can't hunt in an "open land" habitat, you just have to find a layout where there is enough brush area where the coyotes have to get into the brush to see where your call noises are coming from. Otherwise the coyote will see you from hundreds of yards out and never come in close enough for your pistol.
Other than that, there is no reason you can't hunt coyote with a 1911. I use a 10mm Glock quite often as well as a .45 caliber 1911.

It is not legal to hunt in the night time where I am so you have to develope the strategies and skills to bring them in during the daylight, and see them before they see you. Hunting them at night is a piece of cake and I wish that I could do that as well. They have somewhat poor nightvision and, at night, they will come up within several feet of you to identify you and your call (unless they smell you and run....but not all coyotes run at the smell of humans).

Page generated in 0.02617 seconds with 8 queries