View Single Post
Old May 31, 2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Vance

My first progressive press was a Lee Loadmaster. I had used their single stage and turret presses without issue. However the Loadmaster was a mistake. It was a constant tinker session and you did more fiddling with it than actual loading of ammo. My whole issue with the loadmaster was with the priming system and if you can't prime on the press reliably, then there is no pojnt to using a progressive press.

I moved on to a Dillon Square Deal B as at the time I had no plans to reload rifle calibers. I don't regret that move. I now also have a Dillon XL650 because I have started reloading .223 using an RCBS X-die for the depriming and sizing so I can lube the cases and do the whole process in one run. I don't regret that either I will eventuallt sell the Square Deal B and like the idea that the lifetime warranty goes with the press and doesn't stay with the original purchaser

If you are just starting out, then go with the 550B press from dillon. Dillon's do cost more, but are worth it.

I would also suggest getting one of the inexpensive single stages from Lee. There are a few uses I find one useful for. Swaging crimped primer pockets and using a universal decapper to remove the used primers so I can clean the primer pockets every once in a while are two such uses.

People have to remember that Hornady uses red paint also and my friends Hornady LNL AP is a fine machine also.

Last edited by Vance; May 31, 2012 at 10:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.03533 seconds with 8 queries