View Single Post
Old December 3, 2005, 01:17 AM   #7
springmom

head shots

The T formed by the eyes and nose will indeed put the shot into the brain stem and the cerebellum, IF we're talking a front-on shot. I sort of figured that the straight-on shot would be an almost impossible one to take...BG sees you, and will simply adjust so that hostage is between you and him or BG does not see you but is NOT in a clean line of sight without other innocents around.

The nightmare comes in trying for a side shot. THAT would be an almost-impossible shot, ISTM, because you would be shooting into the most curved part of the skull, you would be in HUGE danger of making a totally survivable shot, and you have the problem of hair which may well distort the size and shae of the head for a shot. And from the back...well, if you are absolutely certain that there is nobody else in front of the BG, maybe. But again, the curvature of the skull is there, hair will certainly camoflauge the exact curve of the skull so that it would be VERY hard to make the shot just below the base of the skull.....

This is why CHL instructors tend to tell people not to take head shots, never mind the hostage situation.

All that said, with the high power rifles available a REAL sniper might well be able to get him. IANARS, however, so I'd try to get a REALLY sneaky position for a good shot; or more to the point, I'd let the police hande it.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun

Page generated in 0.03340 seconds with 8 queries