View Single Post
Old September 22, 2009, 10:41 AM   #1900
FlyFish

fogwoman: The Model 19 appears on just about anyone's short list of desirable S&W revolvers. I have a 19-2 from 1963 that's one of my favorite revolvers, and one that goes to the range often. The 19 is built on a slightly beefed-up K frame, which is the "medium" frame size used by S&W, and was intended to provide a smaller alternative to the "N" frame Model 27. You can get a ton more info on the Model 19 here, so I won't take up space repeating much of it.

Although like all Smiths it's a solid sturdy gun, the 19 was intended to be carried a lot and shot less (with .357s), so I'd not recommend a steady diet of full .357 loads. Like all .357s it will shoot .38 Special just fine and both you and the gun will be happier for it.

With regard to the -5 variation, it was made from 1982 to 1988. Smith used to pin the barrels of its revolvers and counterbore the cylinders on the magnums, but dropped both features in 1982, presumably as a cost-cutting measure. As a result your gun is of slightly less interest to some collectors, but of course of no less interest to you (my dad was not a gun hobbyist, so I'm always envious of those who have such priceless family heirlooms).

Last edited by FlyFish; September 22, 2009 at 02:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.03523 seconds with 8 queries