View Single Post
Old November 26, 2010, 12:03 AM   #1
lives in trees

Grandpa's Hawken...HELP NEEDED!

Hey all, this is my first post.

I have my grandfathers old CVA Hawken, that he built as a kit years ago. Its a percussion. He has since passed, and im looking to get it cleaned up and out in the woods.

I pulled it all apart today, and my findings were as follows.

The lock looks pretty dirty, and it seems as though a new one, or an excellent cleaning is needed. Also the set trigger is very stiff, while the main trigger has alot of creep before it goes off. The barrel is in pretty rough shape. also the brass on the foreend has some pitting in it.

I called CVA and they were absolutely useless.

So, I would like to rebuild it but need some help. Hopefully this is the place to get actual information from those who know the deal. Here we go so please bare with me.

1. Is it possible to get all new replacement brass for this gun to replace the pitted brass and If so where?

2. Where can I get a direct fit replacement lock for it? And how do I know what I need? Is the trigger creep adjustable or the set trigger???

3. Finally, I was told green mountain makes a barrel with a 1:70 or somewhere near there twist for patches/round balls. Does anyon know which I will need or have you used them? If not are there any replacement barrels I can purchase with a better twist rate since I would like to replace it?

I plan to lightly sand down the stock and refinish it as well as replacing all the hardware with fresh brass screws.

I want to get it in top shape once again, but obviously after hours of searching have come up with zero!

Please Help!

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Page generated in 0.03488 seconds with 8 queries