View Single Post
Old November 29, 2000, 08:59 AM   #9
JMC

Glamdring,

I have been reloading the 7mm STW for a few years now. I startetd out when no commercial brass was available and I made mine from 300 H&H brass and later on, 8mm Rem. Mag. brass. I had to be the first kid on the block with an STW to be sure.

My rifle started out as a re-chambered Rem. 700 Sendero but I later had it re-barrled by Shilen w/a 26" stainless hand lapped match grade barrel w/ a muzzle brake. The "actual barrel" is 26" w/o brake. The rifle was then sent to Garland Gilbreath at Triple G Gunsmithing in TX on the recommendation of Shilen (he formerly worked for Shilen) to be glass bedded into an H-S Precison stock. Garland does fine work and has bedded 3 rifles for me since.

I have never been able to achieve velocities any where near what are published, especially by the Father of the STW, Layne Simpson. I think he tends to imbelish his results for the sake of his cartridge.

The best velocities I've gotten with factory ammo was with the Remington 140 gr. Core-Lokt pointed soft-point. I was not able to get any of the Federal ammo at the time but I understand it is available now as is the Speer Nitrex stuff.

I have loaded every bullet available in the STW in 140-175 gr. and find the 140gr. range to be about the best even though I would like to find a good 160gr. load. You will find that the 160gr. bullets are disappointing in the velocity department unless you stumble onto a powder that I have not used and that may be the realatively new Reloader 25 which I have not tried yet and most likely won't.

I have a real fondness for the Hornady 139gr. Spire Point in the 7mm Rem. Mag. but the STW is too fast for that bullet and you will experience premature break up of the bullet on cardboard with it! Make great holes.

The beat load that I can come up with is a couple of ones using the Nosler 140gr. PAR bullet. The 140gr. BT shoots well also as does the Winchester Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip 140gr. version. I can not consistantly get 1" groups at 100 with my rifle with my best loads. Some days it will, some days it just refuses.

I tigtened up my loads a little using Federal GM215M primers over the standard 215's but not enough to shout about.

I have rather extensive data so if you would like some of my loads, e-mail me and I will be glad to send you the info.

Now, with that being said, if I were contemplating a fast 7mm round today, I would definately take a look at the new Remington 7mm Ultra Mag in the African Plains Rifle.

Somehow I just think that rifle/cartridge combo may shoot very well.

Page generated in 0.02458 seconds with 8 queries