View Single Post
Old January 13, 2013, 10:40 PM   #12
Bob2222

Quote:
Let's not miss the trees hiding in the forest here. My feeling is that we're not gonna see an outright sales ban on semi-auto rifles or 11+rd mags, but I'm not foolish enough to think "nothing" is going to happen knowing what little I know about how politics works.
I agree "something" will happen. Obama can still use an executive order to restrict imports. Maybe no more of those inexpensive Browning Hi-Powers and Beretta 84s that were military/police trade-ins.

I think chances are pretty good that the process of reporting of mental health problems will change. As well as criminal records for background checks, which may become universal. I think the odds are pretty good that California, Illinois, New York and Connecticut -- where the libs control, or almost control, all the branches of government -- will go through the gesture of passing some new laws that will be predictably ineffective but will greatly inconvenience the purchase of firearms by sane, law-abiding citizens.

Some interesting thoughts from the Wall Street Journal. John Boehner has an "A" rating from the NRA, and there are a couple of other major roadblocks in place that might thwart the lib's dreams nationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSJ

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...pinion_LEADTop

Montana's Jon Tester and Max Baucus, Alaska's Mark Begich, Arkansas's Mark Pryor, South Dakota's Tim Johnson, Louisiana's Mary Landrieu—all are quiet on that red-state Democratic front. North Dakota's brand new senator, Heidi Heitkamp, declared proposals mulled by the Biden task force as "way in the extreme" and "not gonna pass." Unlike Mr. Obama, all of these members still face elections.

Over in the House, when asked recently what was more likely—passage of gun control or Speaker John Boehner becoming a pagan—a senior GOP leadership aide told Buzzfeed: "Probably the latter."

Even were the Senate to summon 60 votes (unlikely), and even were Mr. Boehner to risk the renewed wrath of his caucus by moving such a bill (crazy unlikely), any legislation would fall to members such as Virginia's Bob Goodlatte (who runs the Judiciary Committee) and Pete Sessions (who runs the Rules Committee). Mr. Goodlatte is strong on gun rights. Mr. Sessions is from Texas.

Page generated in 0.03978 seconds with 8 queries