View Single Post
Old April 16, 2000, 05:02 PM   #12
Long Path

Dogger--

Since you've decided on the Starfires (and I don't blame you for not wanting to spend more than a dollar a shot on .30-30 practice! ), I suggest that you get a few boxes of the absolute CHEAPEST .30-30 ammo you can find that is the same weight, and go practice shooting offhand and from field positions with it. Shoot it ALL up! Practice year-round is absolutely necessary to deer-season success.

It's easy for us to say to ourselves that, since we're going to use one ammo for real use (hunting, defense, etc.), we shouldn't bother with another ammo for practice, because it won't perform the same. But, as we discussed in this thread back in December, the largest variable in rifle-hunting is the hunter/shooter, not the cartridge.

This is why I'm going to get a .22 conversion kit for my .45 acp Gold Cup-- Lots and lots and lots of cheap practice, to prepare me for when I load the pistol with either 200g SWC for matches or 230g HP for hunting, duty, or self-defense. Yes, it's different AFTER I pull the trigger, but it's the same during!

Good luck! Maybe you can get in a hog hunt before it gets too hot, and try out those StarFires?

Page generated in 0.02792 seconds with 8 queries