View Single Post
Old June 21, 2012, 07:23 AM   #45
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I taught too but my approach was a little different. I held classes every Wednesday night and sometimes if enough wanted we got together on a week end. On the indoor range we were pretty much restricted to targets and scenarios but here is where I changed up the course.

I encouraged all my new shooters to buy a 22, I didn't care if it was a revolver or pistol and I didn't care if it was a single or double action as long as it was a 22. This allowed more shooting time for my police officers and deputies who had to provide their own ammo. We held live fire drills monthly with their duty weapons, usually with reloads so they kept the feel of the gun fresh in their hand.

My next change up was pulling surprise drills on them like putting their guns on the table and leaving them unloaded, step to the right or left and shoot your neighbors gun. I made them shoot strong hand, weak hand, from a sitting position and from behind a barricade left and right. I made them shoot standing on one leg leaning up against a pole or table for support or with their dominant eye patched.

Outside I added 'Fartlek' to the drill. Sitting, kneeling, prone belly down and prone on your backside at targets that moved like small balloons dangling from a string in the breeze. No limits on time or shots fired, they shot till the target was hit. The bouncing 2x4x4 block starting about 20' and shoot till it was on the 50 yard berm or to small to shoot at anymore.

I never had a student that did not qualify high at qualification time for their department and one set a high record for a rookie becoming the second highest qualifier on the sheriff's department. .380 or 45 or 22 or .357 or 9MM it didn't make any difference. When I got done with them it was sights and trigger breathe and squeeze. Bulls eye at 50' or 50 yards or golf ball at 10, 20, 40 yards. They got the idea that every situation was different but the end result was the same, the first good shot won, not the first shot and that speed came with practice not from trying to force it.

I had my detractors, mostly the older officers but results told, I turned out a lot of good shooters who didn't just spend a lot of time with two hands at 7 yards and they could do it with other guns not just the one they ordinarily carried.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--

Page generated in 0.02569 seconds with 8 queries