View Single Post
Old October 21, 2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Deja vu

What to do? Property lines.

I was hunting white tail around my property (unfortunately none where close to my house) when I saw one about 75 yards out behind some brush. I had my 45/70 with me so I felt safe taking the shot through the brush. For what ever reason The shot was not an instant take down, the deer ran a ways but there was an obvious blood trail. I followed it for a short distance until I reached the edge of my property.

Fortunately I know the owner very well (he is family) and so I kept following the trail and found my deer about 180 yards from where I shot him. He has a bullet hole through the engine room but I guess he really did not want to die. I told the owner and he was ok with it (He invites me to bird hunt there a lot... on the far end how ever where the fields are... the side adjoining my property is mostly brush with a few small trees.) and said as all ways I am free to hunt his land if I cant find any thing on mine.

Any way this incident got me thinking, my question is this: If I was not on good terms with a property owner and the deer crosses property lines is there any thing you can do? Do you by law have to let the animal go? I guess I am unsure of the law. That does not seem very humane to me.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...

Page generated in 0.02302 seconds with 8 queries