View Single Post
Old September 13, 2012, 05:17 PM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
There are thousands of benchrest shooters who will respectfully disagree with you. If this was the case benchrest competitions would involve automated trigger pull machines. They don't because the shooter still has to have good technique, trigger pull, breathing, be able to read wind, mirage, etc... If anything, benchrest shooting allows you to take the gun/ammo out of the equation and tests the shooters ability to read the environmental variables, thus testing shooting ability to the extreme... Just my opinion...
Guess you missed the word "practical" in there.... other than sighting in, and benchrest type games, give me a practical situation where you could use a lead sled type rest.

I can not think of any situation in hunting or combat in which the target will oblige by appearing in relatively small area in front of static position at a range that would necessitate the kind of precision that could not be obtained with a good field position, and a portable shooting aid like, a 1907 sling, sticks or a bi-pod.....

Maybe outside some firebase somewhere in A-stan, there's a Taliban that's foolish enough to think that if he is says at least a mile away, he is free to stand around in a predictable place often enough that someone can build a bench with a dedicated rest oriented on his favorite hangout.....

It would be a far better idea, I think, to learn to shoot from field positions, rather than persist in ignorance and imagine that there will always be something to rest your rifle in, right when and where you need it.

Once upon a time, the .mil taught draftees to shoot well ....

Page generated in 0.01997 seconds with 8 queries