View Single Post
Old November 1, 2010, 09:32 AM   #11
MLeake

Better law enforcement...

As stephen426 noted, the current budget situation for most metro areas isn't likely to lend itself to accelerated LEO hiring, nor expanded foot patrols, nor increased Gang Response Units.

And oddly enough, while Police Chiefs associations and different groups of mayors tend to favor stricter gun control, their view often does NOT seem to be shared by patrol officers and detectives.

I've had two cousins in Massachusetts, and a friend in Washington state, run into problems with stalkers or, in one case, threats of physical harm from known criminals. In those three cases, the investigating officers recommended my cousins and my friend "get a gun," because the police can't be everywhere, and even a fast response time is likely to be too late.

For that matter, I have a fair amount of LEO friends, ranging from city PD officers to deputy sheriffs to Customs to FBI. None of the patrol cops, narcotics cops, or field agents I know favor stricter gun control for law-abiding citizens. Every one of my acquaintances favor "shall issue" for CCW.

Go figure.

Page generated in 0.02590 seconds with 8 queries