Thread: New CHL!
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2014, 10:04 PM   #19
smokehouse4444

Just thought I would share some updates. Maybe someone will find them useful, and as usual, I appreciate any helpful thoughts from those more experienced.

I must admit it still has a strange feel to it to walk around carrying a firearm...legally. I try try carry as much as possible, to make it as usual as picking up my keys and wallet.

I have several different holsters that I have tried, but I thought I would try a couple of new ones that would also allow me to experiment quite a bit with location. I bought two Sticky holsters; one for my Kahr CM9 and one for my SIG P245, and I bought a Stays-Put for my Colt Mustang Pocketlite. I was interested in how these holsters worked anyway.

First of all, both brands have performed exactly as advertised. I could not be happier with them. The Sticky for my Kahr works equally well as an IWB at any position or as a pocket holster. I bought the version that is made more for cargo pants. As I suspected, the Kahr just disappeared when in my preferred crossdraw position, and sticks like glue. So I have to admit I was a bit surprised when the Sticky for the SIG helped it to disappear almost as easily. I walked in and asked my wife to tell me where it was as I turned around...and she thought I was trying to trick her. She was surprised to see that I actually had the bigger handgun tucked in.

The Stays-Put is every bit as good as the Sticky. It is meant as a pocket holster, but doesn't move any when wearing it IWB. I really doubt I will ever wear the Colt IWB instead of in the pocket, but you never know, and the option is there. I believe the Stays-Put would work as well as the Sticky for my Kahr, and they cost a little less as well. Fantastic products.

With scrubs, the fanny pack is the best option without a doubt. For what it's worth, I wear the pack underneath the top anyway, so it is barely noticeable, if at all. Also, if I am paying for something, or answer my phone, it looks a little more "normal" since I am wearing scrubs with few pockets. I tried to go the route of just using a regular pack, but it bothers me that it doesn't unzip well or quickly to access the handgun. So I have decided to buy a Bagmaster Ambidextrous Fanny Pack in Medium. It is a Hunter Green color, has two large zipper pockets that can be seen to easily carry my phone, keys, and ID/Credit card holder, etc... Then it has a velcro/button set up that you pull a tab that just looks like it is part of the pack to access the handgun. I have also bought a Caduceus Patch that I will have my wife sew on the front to complete the "medical" feel, and make it even less conspicuous. I will wear the pack only when I am in my scrubs (which is pretty much anytime during the week), or when I am hiking with a back pack.

By the way, my buddy just gave me a Zombie Apocolypse Vest...man...I'll be ready with that thing on!

Page generated in 0.02857 seconds with 8 queries