View Single Post
Old April 4, 2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Skitter

Magazine Springs

I was reading through various threads on here that keeping ammo in a Magazine does not usually wear out the springs. What about ammo being in the magazine for 4 years and never having the gun shot?

I always give my wife crap about this, because she bought her gun 4 years ago (ish) and has kept it loaded and ready to go in the safe the entire time. Never taking it out to clean, never taking it out to cycle ammo, etc... She finally shot it for the first time about 2-3 months ago, and I was surprised when we did our pre-range clean that nothing was rusted or stuck.

I noticed when helping her load the 17rd mags, that after you put the 15-17th round in, they start to stay kinda loose in the mag, the spring isn't pushing them back up all the way. Rounds 1-15 are ok, but that last couple rounds seem to weigh down the springs enough to where they aren't pushing as hard, and sometimes I have to wiggle that last round to get the spring to press even a bit. Would this indicate that the springs need to be changed out?

Last edited by Skitter; April 4, 2013 at 04:01 PM.

Page generated in 0.03414 seconds with 8 queries